Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA)

This program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students who conduct research in other countries, in modern foreign languages and area studies.

Duration: Six to twelve months


  • Citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States;
  • Is a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution;
  • Is planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation; and
  • Possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project.

Additional information:

Please visit http://www.ed.gov/programs/iegpsddrap/index.html for grant benefit details and application procedures.